Alan I. Farber, Attorney at Law Your Link to the Legal Community
Alan I. Farber, Attorney at Law Your Link to the Legal Community

Don't Let the Government Decide Who Inherits

Our clients have concerns about estate planning, probate, trusts and inheritance taxes.  We believe in educating our clients so that they are able to make better decisions.  We understand the issues of greatest concern to our clients and we can provide information and recommend solutions.

Do you need a Will?

If you die without a Will the Pennsylvania law on intestacy determines how your estate will be distributed.  For example, under the law, if you own property in your name only and you die leaving a spouse and surviving children, your spouse would only receive the first $30,000.00 plus one-half of the remaining estate.  Furthermore, your heirs would have to agree on who should be in charge of the estate administration.  When you make a Will you decide who inherits and who is in charge.


What is a Durable Power of Attorney?

Probably the single most important paper to have, this is the paper that allows your family to take care of you in the event that you are no longer able to take care of yourself.  If you do not have a power of attorney and you become incapacitated, your family would have to get court permission -- in a "guardianship proceeding" -- to use your money to pay your bills or to make medical decisions on your behalf.  If your family is not in agreement the court will appoint some third party -- not a family member -- to make decisions for you.  When you make a power of attorney you designate the person who will make decisions on your behalf.


What is a Living Will?

A Living Will is a document that provides instructions for your doctors and family about your wishes and desires about the type of life-sustaining medical care you want to receive if you become unable to communicate such decisions and there is no hope of recovery from a terminal condition.


What about Trust Wills for minors or dependent children?

If tragedy strikes both you and your spouse the care and upbringing of your minor or dependent children could be determined by a court.  One of the reasons a Will is so important for parents is so that the parents can select the person(s) who will raise the minor children -- termed the "guardian" -- and the parents can select the person(s) who will be the "trustee" -- in charge of the minor or dependent child's finances.  In cases where a family member is unable to manage his or her own affairs, or the person is receiving government assistance, a supplemental needs or special needs trust may be necessary to protect that person's assets or inheritance.


What is Probate?  What is a Living Trust?  Who will pay for nursing home care?  Will you lose your house or other assets? 

These are serious questions and we can provide the answers.  Call 412-884-7888 to make an appointment to meet with Attorney Alan Farber.


For information on fees for estate documents go to the "About Our Legal Practice" page and click on Services and Fee.

Do you have questions about our services?

Contact us at 412 884-7888 or via our contact form.